Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy Anniversary to Me!! (And Happy St. Paddy's Day to Everyone Else...)

Today J and I celebrate a crazy little thing called love. (Quick! Who sang it?!) Our journey together has had its share of bumps and potholes, but lots of smooth sailing too. And yes, I realize I've just combined two metaphors, driving and sailing. And yes, I'm perfectly fine with that. They're both means of transportation, and the general idea is that we've continued on this journey. So there.



I particularly like this picture because it so eloquently illustrates how one enters into a marriage; with eyes closed. And it's just so flattering to both of us! (I have no idea why we look the way we do in this pic; I know we weren't praying at the time.) Honestly, who knows what the future holds? As it turns out, the 'better' part is far better than you dreamed, and the 'worse' part can be far worse than you expected. You see each other at your best and worst. You (hopefully) learn what makes the other person tick, and what makes 'em crazy. And sometimes you use that knowledge for evil, instead of good. Oh admit it! But through it all, you stick to it. You don't give up. And you're rewarded mightily for it.

One of the things I enjoy most about J is I have learned (for the most part) how his mind works. Yesterday morning was an excellent example. He woke me, bright and early, both to kiss me goodbye and ask if he could have my phone, because his Blackberry was dying. The moment he made that request, I was WIDE awake. My phone is one of my appendages. Where I go, my phone goes. My phone and I are BFFs. Heaven help the mister who comes between me and my phone. Yesterday, that mister was J, and he was headed for a world of pain. In a panic I asked, "TO KEEP??!?! FOR THE WHOLE DAY?!??!" Sweaty palms. Heart palpitations. Shortness of breath. I had all the symptoms of a full-blown panic attack. He talked me down off my ledge by assuring me he just wanted to borrow it to make one phone call, and then he would return it. Pinky promise. Cross his heart, hope to die, stick a needle in his eye. Luckily for him, he was true to his word.

I asked him where the charger for his Blackberry was, and he declared, "I have no idea; it's been missing for two weeks!" How he has maintained a battery charge for that long is beyond me, because the man is permanently attached to that phone. If he isn't talking on it, he's emailing someone. (And he teases me about my texting...sheesh!) I would like him to enable texting on his phone so I could get in touch with him during the day, but so far he's resistant to the idea. Perhaps he doesn't want to be that accessible to me.

Anyway, I asked him if he'd left it in the motel room he stayed in about two weeks ago, and he was adamant that he had not, because it was missing before his trip. I chose to not take him at his word on the matter, and went in search of his overnight bag. Lo and behold, inside that bag I found not only his charger, but also the receipt for his room! (It's sort of important that we have those receipts, for expense report purposes!) I strolled into the kitchen with a smug grin on my face and said, "Um, is this what you've been looking for?" You can imagine the look of surprise on his face when he asked, "Where'd ya find it?!" and I told him it was right where I thought it would be. To summarize, I had been awake a total of five minutes, and in my sleepy stupor, I found his charger in under thirty seconds. All because I've studied the man's movements, taken notes and created a psychological profile of him. That's one of my favorite parts of marriage; the comfort of knowing a person so intimately.

So here's to marriage, and here's to J: Thank you for making my life crazy and hectic and happy and blissful. Thank you for deciding I was the one you wanted to share this life with. You made an excellent choice my man, and I love you!



(Much better!)

1 comment:

  1. I've got it! "Crazy Little Thing Called Love." The Chipmunks sang it. You know -- Alvin, Simon and Theodore? And it was on their "Chipmunk Punk" album. What blog-give-away prize do I win for being the first to answer correctly?

    ReplyDelete