Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Oh What a Beautiful Morning...

Last night I rejected an invite to do a last minute Girls' Night Out at the late showing of Dear John. I was more interested in sleeping than bawling over a Nicholas Sparks story (which I do EVERY SINGLE TIME). So I tucked WyoBaby into bed and read her a chapter of Nancy Drew before she fell asleep. After I was sure she was far away in Dreamland, I carried my weary butt downstairs and got down to the business of sleep. Apparently I was fairly successful in my endeavor. Right up until 3:45, that is. That is when my sleep ended. One minute I was doing my best Rip Van Winkle impersonation and the next, BAM!! Hello! Wide awake! I fought it, tooth and nail, and in the end, was able to squeeze in two more hours of sleep before getting up for real. My first order of business was coffee. We DO NOT do morning without coffee. I savored every last drop, then went to wake WyoBaby. She got up relatively well, hauled her bleary-eyed keister into the shower and stood under the stream of hot water for ten solid minutes. After turning off the water, she spent the next five minutes leaning against the shower wall, doing nothing. Except trying my patience. It's her specialty, and she does it very well. Still, the rest of the morning was without incident. Well, almost. I had picked out a cute Madras print shirt with rolled up sleeves held in place by a strap which buttons onto the sleeve. (Does that sentence make any sense?) Here, this is the shirt:

Cute, no? Anyway, as we were getting ready to head out, I told her to put on her coat, because it was chilly this morning. As soon as the words left my mouth, I knew we were headed for a meltdown. The girl has issues with sleeves getting all 'funky' in her coat sleeves. As in, if they're messed up, she flips faster than a short order cook plating short stacks during the breakfast rush. We're talking hopping up and down, stomping her feet, flailing her arms, sniffling, pouting and just generally losing it. Why then, would I be surprised when she started to do that very thing this morning? I don't know, but what I do know is I in turn flipped. Faster than she. I YELLED at my girl, "STOP IT!!!! YOU'RE GOING TO TEAR YOUR SHIRT SLEEVE IF YOU KEEP THAT UP!! NOW JUST TAKE A DEEP BREATH, AND RELAX!!" (That last bit was for my benefit, because midway through my rant I realized I had snapped and needed to chillax, big time.) She had been yanking on her rolled sleeves so hard I could foresee a huge rip in the immediate future if she kept it up. Turns out her mother was the huge rip. I felt like a big ol' heel for snapping like that. The situation was frustrating, and she was so far beyond reasoning it was ridiculous, but that did not justify my yelling. I could have calmly pointed out she was very near to cutting short the life of her shirt, and still accomplished the same effect. In the end, I unbuttoned the sleeves, so she was able to hold onto the cuffs as she put her arms through her coat sleeves. Voila. Problem solved.

As I opened the car door for her, I apologized profusely and asked for her forgiveness, which she gave, albeit a bit grudgingly. She refused to make eye contact with me the entire time, and even when I dropped her off, telling her how much I love her, she just shrugged and walked away. Oh, it's like a knife twisting in my heart, but I guess I deserve it. Note to self: Next time, don't roll the dang cuffs!! And, don't yell!! Happy Tuesday All!

1 comment: