Sunday, March 7, 2010

My New Project

As Spring gears up to make its grand entrance, I find myself longing to scratch the redecoration itch. Part of my inspiration is the fact that the walls of our house are closing in on me like the garbage compactor on the Death Star. In fact, I can hear Harrison Ford saying, "One thing's for sure; we're all gonna be a lot thinner..." Not that I'd mind being a lot thinner right about now. The point is, I have a serious case of claustrophobia going. I've attempted to treat it with running, which has been very rejuvenating, in a sort of Good-Lord-my-lungs-are-going-to-explode-and-my-shins-are-on-fire!!!!! way...but the itch remains. Combine that with a growing need to make my mark on our home, and you have a decorating binge waiting to happen. Inspired in part by the Little White Room featured on the Resovled2Worship blog, and in part by my desperate need for a place of serenity, I've decided to attack our office. This has always been a bit of a No-Man's Land. Mostly it's where everything I don't know what to do with goes to die. In the past few months it has been improved, but I'm just not feeling the love for this poor room. That, folks, is all about to change...

This is the space as of today. I think you'll find the photography breathtaking, as any picture taken with a camera phone is. My digital camera is dead dead dead, and my A.D.D. will not allow me to wait for it to charge. The consequences of this are the following: (Please, don't be jealous of the quality!!)



The Honey Nut Cheerios box is WyoBaby's touch, as she was eating her cereal while she helped me pick a paint color. She used the ironing board as her table. J is under the impression that said board can remain right where it is indefinitely, because he's just gonna use it the next day, so what's the point of putting it away? Sound reasoning, no?

The space has good bones. The wall is an interesting material. Not sheetrock, not lathe & plaster, it's some sort of paneling with a cool texture which just screams to be accentuated. J despises, with every bone of his manly body, this paneling, and would love nothing better than to yank it down. J has plans for every room of our house, and the office is not immune. However, when we went through our Top 20 List of Home Projects, it was dead last, so I'm pretty sure it's safe for a good year or so. In the meantime, I'm going to turn it into My Haven. I need a Haven. Every Momma does. As Missi was giving me the tour of the house they just bought, she said, "And this small area was probably the maid's quarters. So of course, this is where I'll be living." Sure, she was joking, but what mother doesn't, at some point, scream out Serenity Now!!! and fantasize about a little room she can call her own? Did you ever see the Cosby Show episode in which Cliff builds Claire her own room? It's complete with sound-proof walls and a 2-inch thick steel door. He even put in a separate phone line for her. Oh to have a room like that...

So, I've chosen the paint color, Mountain Air. Doesn't it just sound relaxing? WyoBaby helped me select it. J looked at it and said, "Will you even notice it?! You see, J is responsible for 99% of the decorating which takes place in our house. The man has an eye for it, and most of the time, I just stay out of it. I once made the mistake of purchasing what I thought were fabulous throw pillows at Pier 1. I was so proud of myself, and was practically glowing as I showed them to him. He remained mute, and a month later, I saw him packing them into a closet. When asked why, he said, "They're the wrong shade of red." End of discussion. Ever since then, I've limited myself to the smallest of small accent purchases. And I now have a complex. If I start to think about decorating, my left eye starts to twitch. So this project is a HUGE step for me. In fact, I'm starting to hyperventilate a little. Does anyone have a paper bag???

No comments:

Post a Comment